Essex Police officer sacked for sending 999 caller sexual image
A police officer who sent a “vulnerable” woman a sexual image of himself has been sacked.
The woman was sent the image by the Southend-based officer after she dialled 999.
The officer was suspended by Essex Police in June. The chief constable called his actions despicable.
The officer, who has not been named, admitted contacting the woman with a “view to establishing a personal relationship” with her.
The force said the officer had also accessed police computer records without a policing requirement.
Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh said: “This officer's actions were, quite frankly, despicable and such people have no place within the ranks of Essex Police.
“What he did was a betrayal of everything that the police officers and staff of Essex Police stand for and I totally support the decision to sack him.
“I will accept nothing less than the highest standards of behaviour from my officers and staff when it comes to assisting victims.”
Source and image source
Hampshire Police 'attacked' at illegal rave
Police say they were pelted with missiles as they came under attack while trying to stop an illegal rave attended by up to 100 people.
Six officers sustained injuries, described as not serious, at Beacon Hill, Highclere, in Hampshire at about midnight on Saturday.
A man, aged 23, and a woman, 29, were arrested on suspicion of organising the unlicensed event.
The woman was also held for suspected possession of class B drugs.
Officers from Hampshire and neighbouring Thames Valley Police were alerted to the rave and said they attended to foil any disorder and disruption to residents.
A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: “Officers were subjected to violence, including missiles thrown at them, which resulted in six officers sustaining non-serious injuries.
“It is believed between about 80 and 100 people attended the illegal event.
“We will continue to take every measure possible to prevent any such illegal music events from happening… in the future.”
Independent investigation started after a death in custody
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is independently investigating Surrey Police after the death of a 33 year old man who had been detained by police 24 hours earlier. The man, identified as Terry Smith, died at around 9 pm yesterday (Wednesday) at St Peter’s Hospital in Surrey. Initially detained by police at around 10pm on Tuesday 12 November, Mr Smith was admitted to hospital in a life-threatening condition after 1 am on Wednesday 13 November.
The IPCC is appealing for witnesses who may have seen him in the area of Vanguard House, Douglas Road, Stanwell, on the evening of Tuesday 12 November leading up to his detention soon after 10 pm that night. Mr Smith is white and about 5ft 8 inches tall and was reported to be acting strangely.
IPCC investigators will be attending the Douglas Road area this evening to carry out house-to-house enquiries and issue appeal leaflets to residents.
The IPCC was notified by Surrey Police shortly before 6 am on Wednesday and IPCC investigators immediately went to Staines Police Station to assess the available evidence including CCTV from the custody suite where Mr Smith was detained, and the initial accounts provided by those involved.
IPCC Commissioner Jennifer Izekor decided that an independent investigation would be carried out.
Ms Izekor said: “Our investigation is in its very early stages and our thoughts and condolences are with Terry’s family and friends.
“What we have established is that Surrey Police were called by an ambulance crew to assist them with dealing with a man just after 10 pm on the evening of Tuesday 12 November. Within 20 minutes of their arrival they detained Mr Smith under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and he was then taken to Staines Police Station.
“Our investigators have seized and viewed CCTV footage from the custody suite where Mr Smith was detained and restrained. At some point Mr Smith became seriously ill. An ambulance was called and took him to St Peter’s Hospital.
“I would urge anyone in the Douglas Road area who witnessed any of the events of Tuesday evening to get in touch with us as it could really help our independent investigation.
“We have met with Mr Smith’s family to explain our role and how the investigation will progress.”